Friday 22 November 2013

Meet the Executive! Catherine Vielguth

New to the executive committee but a familiar face to the New Works Festival, ABBEDAM, and the rest of the drama department, get to know Catherine Vielguth, the 2014 festival executive director.

1. What is your involvement at the U of A?

I am currently in the 3rd year of the BA in Drama and am minoring in Arts and Culture Management.

2. What is your background in theatre?I graduated from the performance program at Mount Royal in 2011, after which I took time to assistant direct at a high school, and act for companies including Shakespeare in the Park and Beyond the Brick Productions. I have also co-produced/created and directed performance art based shows the past two summers in Calgary. I was also a director this year in Sage Theatre's Ignite! Festival. At the U of A I acted in last years ABBEDAM production and in the New Works Festival as well as stage managed for 457's production of Great Expectations.

3. What drew you to the New Works Executive this year?
I was drawn to the NWF because of the invaluable experience it offered as well as the awesome people I'd get to work with. This festival calls on our entire department of drama and it really excites me to work on a festival with a collective group of fellow students who value and thrive off of creating theatre.

4. Do you have a favourite play? (new work or otherwise!)
My favorite play... that is such a tough question and I would love to be able to wish away my indecisiveness! 4.48 Psychosis by Sarah Kane is one play that stands out for me. Its poetic and tragic story of a misunderstood and confused mind left me inspired and very curious. Its form or rather lack of convention liberates my creative core and beckons me to sink my teeth in deeper and deeper into its content!

No comments:

Post a Comment